RASA Integrated Library System (ILS)
This software, which is in accordance with and founded on the standard of IRANMARC (an Iranian local format based on UNIMARC), and includes most of the capabilities to similar and leading foreign systems such as ALEPH and Innovative.
This product was produced by Pars Azarakhsh Company in September 2003, being ready for operation in September 2006 through various stages of production. Using efficient internal professionals and appropriate technical and library knowledge in the organization, the Company achieved this important project, which is one of the few successful ones of TAKFA. The secret of its success lies in the close cooperation between the executor and the employer through a group work.
The purpose of producing an integrated system of the National Library of Iran is not only to automate the working procedures of the Deputy to the National Library, but to maintain records related to all library materials involved in global standards.
The integrated system of the National Library is based on UNIMARC and IRANMARC, which mechanizes the processes of cataloging, indexing, authority record, CIP, ISSN, orders, deposits, loan, recorded information, exchange and donation. It provides features such as search, Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC), interlibrary information exchange and support for Z39.50.
Specific characteristics of the project
• Applying an integrated system in most departments of Deputy to the National Library and substituting all the miscellaneous, incomplete and heterogeneous softwares created on the basis of momentary needs, in which all the departments of the National Library can easily interconnect with each other.
• Using the experience of the leading librarians from across the country in having the application requirements finalized involved in Iranian National Library in Use Case.
• Employing advanced Java technologies and well-established three-tier software architecture
• Using RUP methodology in software production
• Using a powerful internal system in all libraries and information agencies of the country and the possibility of easy exchange of information between libraries at national and international levels in the near future due to the same platform for exchange in the Islamic countries and the region for an integrated system by the National Library of Iran to Improve the capabilities of a domestic software company.
Contribution of the National Library to create this product
• Continuous policy-making for satisfactory project implementation
• Finalizing the needs of NLAI during numerous meetings over a long period of time
• Supervising and guiding of the implementing company in selecting appropriate technologies for software production
• Constant identifying of problems and generating appropriate solutions
• Continual monitoring of the desired quality of the executive team and performing various stages of software production
• Establishing recurrent interaction with the implementing company on the monthly, technical and library meetings regularly taken place
• Company inspection
• Continuous recognition of required documents delivered to the organization at different phases by the implementing company.
Main stages of the Iran National Library Integrated System Production
• Selecting production process and methodology
• Finalizing case uses of the project's original version or release to manufacturing (RTM), also known as "going gold"
• System design and implementation of RTM
• Company systematic testing
• Delivery of RTM based on manual change forms by a 4-person team
• Finalization of all system case uses
• Design and implement all parts of the system
• Systematic testing within the company
• Delivery of all parts of the software based on computer-aided change forms by a 20-member team