The membership office of the National Library and Archives of Iran is responsible for reviewing and approving membership conditions for users and determining their membership types or levels.
The member card is issued as per the qualifications and conditions listed in the Membership Rules & Regulations in 3 levels.
Membership Terms for Foreign Users
- M.A. student above
- Holding the passport and an ID card
- Filling up the online membership forms
- Holding a university degree
- Holding a student ID card
Working Hours and Executive Affairs
- The National Library Membership office is open from Saturday to Wednesday except for the official holidays from 8:00 to 15:30.
- The presence of the applicant is required to present the necessary documents and get his/her own member card.
The National Library Resource Collections (excluding resources kept in the public library repository), i.e., borrowing materials are only for reading room use, which are not borrowed out of the library.
About membership in the National Library
The membership office of the National Archives and Library of Iran is responsible for verifying and approving the terms of membership for patrons and determining different types and levels of membership, which is only available to applicants who are present in person in the wake of online registration. This is why the presence of an individual representing another person for membership will not be accepted. It is allowed for patrons to use NLAI services by presenting the original membership card. The issue of Special members' cards is approved by the head of the organization requesting approval.
The membership card for foreigners will be issued with qualifications required as well as official permission obtained according to legal formalities specified in the law.
Violation as specified in the guideline (clause 2-4-6) will result in the suspension, cancellation and/or revocation of membership by the approval of the disciplinary committee, which consists of the Security Director, Public Relations Director and Information General-Director.
The type of NLAI membership cards is issued given the degrees, qualifications and terms mentioned in the membership conditions ranging from level 1 to 3.
Any use and service of the library, including special halls and public forums, depends on the type of membership card, typically issued to community members.
Note: In case of reading other steps, this membership form is to be completed.
- Since National Library is part of the national and cultural heritage of the country, every individual is responsible for conservation, valorization and preservation of written cultural heritage. Hereby disclaims any liability to any person for any loss or damage caused by errors or... So with sabotaging measures such as damaging desks and chairs, books and library resources, leaving any kind of marks and lines on materials, leaving any objects, including a pen, etc. between the pages of books, and disrupting computer systems and the like due to violation will be punishable legally in addition to canceling membership.
- National Library materials collections, with the exception of some public library resources, is only for use in reading rooms and is not lent to take out of the library.
- Books preserved at each hall are for study in the same hall; it is forbidden and banned for member users to move books, journals and materials to different sections or other floors and halls.
- NLAI membership cards can only be used by the individuals as authorized users. Any changes made by a cardholder, including scanning, copying or Xerox by the use and benefit of someone else's card is banned.
- Since a library card can refer to several cards traditionally used for the management of books and patrons in a library, NLAI members of the library are requested to carry their own Card, a membership personal identification number (PIN) issued in order to benefit from library services.
- Given the focus on support for expression of religious identity at work and cultural values and social norms and a list of bans by country while maintaining a broader climate of inclusion and that the hijab or Muslim cover has become compulsory, authorized users and cardholders of the library are required to observe the hijab and wear loose-fitting clothing and a headscarf in public inside-out spaces of the library area.
- No smoking inside the building and library area! NLAI strictly banned smoking in all indoors places.
- Please keep silence in the library! Silence and tranquility are required for study zone and research area designated by NLAI where you need to succeed.
- Mobile phone use in the library is banned in the entrance hall and study forums. It is necessary to hand over your mobile phone to the library security officers when entering.
- Eat, Drink, Shop! The Library Service has a food and drink policy that coffee shop is a designated place for drinks and food. It is banned to bring any food and drink and snacks in the entrance hall and study forums.
- Carrying bags, books, notebooks, pamphlets, pens and any personal items in study halls is banned. Authorized users are required to leave their books and personal pamphlets to library security officers.
- Authorized users are simply allowed to bring pencils, a few sheets of white paper and a personal computer (in case of considering coordination of the relevant authorities).
- Public library's public-access users are allowed to access halls and forums without bringing books (just one) and pamphlets (not more than 40 sheets) in case of considering coordination of the relevant authorities.
- Any copying and photographing of library resources without the license terms of this work is banned.
- Accompanied persons are not allowed to enter the library except for the disabled and the blind.
- Given the policy and rules specific to study hall and forums, excessive traffic and gatherings in the entrance hall and other zones and area is banned.
- Given the assessment of access and use policy, all books and other library information resources placed on the study tables, in case of absence up to 30 minutes, are removed by the library officers and delivered to the repositories.
- Any books or other items which are the property of the Library that cardholders as users attempt to take out of the Library is considered as violation prohibited, which in addition to revocation of membership, will lead to legally criminal prosecution.
- Violation of the library regulations will result in the cancellation of the membership card and subsequently the violation will be reported to both the member family and the recommending body, and finally, the violation report will be sent to the competent authorities for legal action against prosecutor.
Definition and Concept
1-1 Organization: It refers to "National Library and Archives of the Islamic Republic of Iran"(NLAI).
1-2 Library: By this term it means "National Library of the Islamic Republic of Iran".
1-3 Information Department: This department which is the General Directorate serves as one of departments of the National Library of Iran.
1-4 Special Committee on Membership: It consists of the Deputy Head of the National Library, the Director of Security, the Director of the Information and the chief of the Membership Office, who is responsible for reviewing and deciding on violations of library members as users. In addition, special cases and requests for membership that are not prescribed and included in the regulations are raised and discussed in this committee. All determinations and decisions made by the Committee shall be final, conclusive and binding.
1-5 Special membership: It is a membership that special privileges or benefits are entitled to members although not all members may have the same rights and privileges. Such users or patrons become NLAI members without any time restrictions and free of charge; and benefit from all services.
1-6 Ordinary membership: ordinary member means an individual holding membership and access to the library in accordance with the persons listed in the membership types. Such members are capable of being achieved in a reasonable period of time given the two general and special levels.
1-7 Temporary membership: It is a membership issued for a limited time in some cases at the discretion of the relevant authorities and by the approval of the Director of Information and the chief of the membership office to meet the necessary information needs for people often recommended by organizations, departments.
1-8 Employees of the organization: Permanent or fixed-term, official and contract employees are three main employment types as identified by the organization.
1-9 Organization services: These services include information services, reference services, access to study and research areas, access to library resources, receiving resources, loan, computer services, audio-visual services and welfare services.
1-10 Membership card: A card issued to and held by the organization, verifying the member's membership for a given period following the online registration process and that a form to be completed by an applicant for assigning the membership code, a code that controls the way that the system conducts credit checking, and credit defined in order to provide access services.
1-11 Guest card: It is a card best suited, only once in a year, to plan for emergencies, for those who do not have the conditions for membership or do not want to join, to provide access to the library resources. (This item is currently disabled).
1-12 Membership number: It is a unique number given on a member card that identifies you from all members as listed.
1-13 By a first-degree family (FDF) or first-degree relative (FDR) it means a person's parent (father or mother), full sibling (brother or sister) or child.
NLAI membership office is responsible for identifying and approving the terms of membership for applicants and determining their level of membership.
Only duly completed online applications are accepted. To recruit new members or membership recruitment is carried out only for the registered applicants who personally visit and refer in person at the appointed time. Therefore, it will be ineffective if another person replaces the applicant for membership.
Please note that the original library card must be presented to use our library's services.
Special members' cards are issued by the approval of the head of the organization.
Issuance of a foreigner's membership card depends on receiving all the documents and inquiries from the relevant authorities. In case of violation of the Discipline Regulation, following the setting up of the Disciplinary Committee, the member card will be canceled according to the regulations mentioned in this directive (clause 2-4-6).
The Disciplinary Committee consists of the General Directors of Security, Public Relations and Information.
NLAI membership card is identified and issued according to the degree and the conditions mentioned in the membership regulations from level 1 to 3, which provides the amount of access to public and special forums and the information service benefits defined.
Membership levels or types of membership
Article 2: Types of membership
2-1 Special membership
2-1-1 Special membership terms
2-1-1-1 This type of membership includes the people listed in paragraph (2-1-2).
2-1-1-2 Membership of these individuals is permanent, for which there is no expiry date.
2-1-1-3 Providing access to services and facilities to the members in different departments is at the highest level considered in the regulations.
2-1-1-4 This level is required to create approval or to be confirmed only by the head of the organization.
2-1-1-5 Membership and access to all services of the organization is free for such members.
2-1-2 The following individuals contain lists of special membership:
2-1-2-1 Heads of all three branches of government (legislature, executive, judiciary) and the chairman of another body of system called the Expediency Discernment Council of the System is an administrative assembly appointed by the Supreme Leader.
2-1-2-2 Vice Presidents and equivalent positions, Deputy Speakers of the Islamic Consultative Assembly also called the Iranian Parliament as well as the Guardian Council members.
2-1-2-3 Ministers and equal positions as well as chairmen of the commissions of the Islamic Consultative Assembly
2-1-2-4 Religious authorities, a title given to the highest level of Shiite religious authority
2-1-2-5 Presidents of the academies of the Islamic Republic of Iran
2-1-2-6 Associates of the academies of the Islamic Republic of Iran
2-1-2-7 (Former) Heads of the National Library and Archives of Iran
2-1-2-8 Deputies of the National Library and Archives of Iran
2-1-2-9 Full professors, the standard professorial title given to academic ranks
2-2 Research membership
2-2-1 Research membership conditions and terms
2-2-1-1 This type of membership includes the individuals listed in articles (2-2-2).
2-2-1-2 A maximum of three years will be a period and term of membership for such individuals.
2-2-1-3 To provide services, facilities, expenses and access to areas in each year is based on the instructions approved by NLAI executive board.
2-2-2 The individuals listed in the research membership are:
• Faculty members of academic centers
• Seminary professors
• PhD students and graduates
• Undergraduate and graduate students and graduates in medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine
• Seminarians or seminary students for professional-level Four and above
• Elites and inventors
• Authors – Special and academic publications.
• Memorizers of the entire holy Quran, notable people who have completely memorized the Quran
• Exquisite books donors
• Holders of highest levels of art degree (approved by the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance)
2-3 Ordinary membership
2-3-1 Ordinary membership conditions
2-3-1-1 This type of membership is considered for the people described in article (2-3-2)
2-3-1-2 Membership period for these members is a maximum of one year
2-3-1-3 The provision of services, facilities, expenses and access to areas annually is based on the instructions approved by NLAI executive board
2-3-2 Individuals listed in ordinary membership contain:
• Graduates of MA, Ph.D. and Level 3 of Seminary schools
• Senior lawyer, senior attorney-at-law, senior solicitor
• National and world champions winners and medalists
• Authors of academic articles in ISI journals, scientific research papers and scientific-review publications given the validity of journals and categories of academic articles, international conference papers submitted
• Holders of art degree: levels one and two (approved the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance in Iran)
• Physically disabled people, including blind and partially sighted people, deaf and hearing impaired people
• Disabled veterans (over 25%), veterans and first-degree relative (FDR) is a person's parent (father or mother), full sibling (brother or sister) or child
• Library and information science (LIS) students
• NLAI Employees and retirees (no matter if official, fixed-term, contractual employees) and their first-degree family (father, mother, spouse and children)
• Researchers with officially approved proposals in one of the research institutes of the country to carry out investigations.
Article III, the required conditions of National Library for membership
The minimum educational requirements for membership in the National Library are a graduate of a discontinuous MA, level 3 for Seminarians or Seminary students, as well as a professional doctorate and a MA up to the 10th semester onwards.
As well, the following individuals are allowed to use and have access to the library services with at least a pre-university degree (old diploma) providing:
3-1 Authors of academic and special publications
Note: Exempted authors are those who show their own academic articles in ISI journals, scientific research papers and scientific-review publications given the validity of journals and categories of academic articles, or international conference papers submitted
3-4 Memorizers of the entire Holy Quran
3-5 Exquisite collections donors as well as their first degree family members to NLAI
3-6 Holders of first, second and third-cycle art qualifications approved by the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance
3-7 War Veterans and Invalids
Note: Members of first-degree families of martyrs, veterans and war-invalids are allowed to benefit from NLAI services in case of being BA at least.
3-8 Physical-motor disabilities, blinds, visually impaired and deaf individuals
3-9 National and world sports champions
3-10 Government retirees
3-11 Employees and retirees of the organization (both formal, contractual) and their first class family
Note: The validity of the membership card of official, contractual colleagues and their first class families is considered for 5 years.
Article 4 Necessary documents for membership
If you upload a scan of your original document, it will not be accepted. Do not upload a scanned copy as well. It is necessary to provide the original and a copy of each of the documents as listed below:
4-1 To complete the sections of the application e-Form
4-2 Your National ID card and your ID card
4-3 The latest Degree or the Temporary (Provisional) Degree Certificate last issued as a replacement for the actual degree certificate
Note 1: There is an alternative for every male citizen is obliged to perform his military service, who is to perform his or those completing their military service. Such applicants are allowed to register with the original letters issued by the university to the authorities of the conscription system (given credit for academic exemptions awarded).
Note 2: Professional doctoral graduates and faculty members are allowed to register by presenting their valid card.
Note 3: Graduates whose degrees have been issued by a university abroad, must get approval in advance from Iranian authority (the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Embassy and Consulate of the Islamic Republic of Iran in that country); otherwise, the document submitted to meet the membership requirements will not be accepted.
Note 4: The membership card for foreigners or foreign nationals will be issued after received and reviewed all required supporting documents as well as inquiry by the relevant authorities.
4-4 Valid real student ID and study certificate issued by university (to submit the study and bonafide certificates as proof for having studied at your institution) for special doctoral students, medical assistant and seminary students level Four and above
4-5 The supporting documents required for the issuing of member cards as included in Article 3 of this regulation are as follow:
4-5-1 Books, journals and contents containing special publications by authors
Note: If the materials are available in NLAI RASA software holdings records, it is not necessary to submit the original published version of the works.
4-5-2 Patent certificate, as proof of the patent holder's patented invention
4-5-3 Elite Certificate issued by the competent authorities
4-5-4 The Veterans Identification Card (VIC), valid real ID or certificate issued for veterans and the war disabled and FDF or FDR, the Families of Martyrs
4-5-5 Administrative Retired Wage ID cards and retirement order for Government Retirees
4-5-6 Valid ID card/ certificate of disability, blindness, visual impairment and deafness by the Organization for the welfare of the handicapped, for those who suffer from any of these conditions
4-5-7 Art Certificates for Grade 1, Grade 2, and Grade 3 specifically authorized for artists by the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance
4-5-8 Specialized Degree to the holy Quran Memorizer
4-5-9 Approval letter by NLAI for the donors of the exquisite collection to NLAI
4-5-10 Championship order for national and world medal winners and medalists
Executive and financial affairs
5-1 Working hours and executive affairs:
5-1-1 The Library Membership Office is open to provide services to applicants every week from Saturday to Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. to 15:30 p.m., except on public holidays.
5-1-2 The Membership Office is responsible for reviewing and approving the membership conditions for applicants and determining their membership levels.
5-1-3 Membership card will be issued only after successful membership online registration applications submitted and face-to-face application of the applicant in due time to the membership office.
5-1-4 To receive a membership card, the applicant has to personally come to the membership office where members may earn points according to the terms and regulations and the documents required will be provided.
5-1-5 Type of NLAI membership card is issued according to the conditions referred to in the membership regulations, as specified in Article 2.
5-2 See the costs for all the NLAI membership categories
5-2-1 Membership fees and issuance of duplicate card is determined and announced annually based on annual membership or for six-month and three-month periods by NLAI executive board, as specified in Note 2 of Article 36 of the Financial and Trading Regulations.
5-2-2 The estimated amount of your tuition and fees at the beginning of each year by the Membership Office are recommended to NLAI Executive Board.
2-3-5 Membership card for special members and donors of exquisite collections, retirees of government departments, memorizers of the Holy Quran, NLAI employees and retirees and their first degree family, veterans and war invalids and their first degree family, Martyrs' first degree family, as well as the physically disabled, the blind, the visually impaired, and the deaf are issued free of charge.
2-4-5 Librarians, librarianship students and NLAI project staff are allowed to pay a half price to accept membership card payments.
2-5-5 The Membership fee payments to NLAI must be made according to the following terms which are applicable:
- to the account number 2170409001002 of Bank Melli Iran (the National Bank of Iran), National Library Branch (code: 1205) considered as active branch inside called "The interface for concentrating funds for cultural services and information", then submit the receipt to the card issuance department when registering.
- If Shetab card (Interbank Information Transfer Network) as an electronic banking clearance is available, regardless of card type, it is possible to pay the desired amount through the Card-Reader-Device, the library's POS machine, in the card issuance office.
Other Regulations and Procedures
Article 7: By completing a form drawn up by each member and issuance of a membership card constitutes full awareness of the members of the regulations and that any claim of lack of knowledge regarding the mentioned regulations is not accepted.
Article 8: Any violation of the library rules and regulations in the library areas will result in a warning, suspension or revocation of the membership card by the special committee of membership.
Article 9: Member card shall be cancelled in accordance with the regulations referred to in the rules approved by the special committee of membership.
Article 10: The use of the membership card is allowed only for the member card holder and any misuse or abuse of other members' cards is banned.
Article 11: Access to any library service is provided through membership card.
Article 12: Any copying and photographing library resources without a license is prohibited.
Article 13: Since it is focused on the role that cultural heritage can play, library and what comes under it, including resources, equipments and buildings are considered as part of the national and cultural heritage of the country and as part of the state property, it is to make ourselves worthy of humanity by culture, and that everyone, alone or collectively, has the responsibility to preserve library. So, actions such as damaging desks and chairs, damaging books and library resources, any kind of marking on resources, placing any kind of equipment such as pens, and the like in the pages of a book, disrupting computer systems and so on, any damage to the library's equipment and buildings will result in revoking membership and will be considered a criminal prosecution.
Article 14: Collection of the library resources (except for the resources available in the public library Repository) can only be used in the Library Study-Halls and may not be checked out.
Article 15: Books kept in each hall should be used at the same study hall considered by the library officers. It is forbidden to take away or even move them between floors and halls.
Article 16: Each level of information service provides a set of library services and capabilities in reference to the membership levels for access.
Article 17: Full observance of Islamic dress code and preservation of religious, cultural and social values in all the areas of the library is mandatory. In case of any violations, the appropriate decision (i.e. warning, suspension and revocation of the membership card) will be made by the Special Membership Committee.
Article 18: No Smoking in the entire areas of the library!
Article 19: Since silence creates peace and a peaceful atmosphere for qualitative research to an acceptable standard, it is mandatory in the entrance hall and study halls.
Article 20: Carrying a bag, book and notebook and maturity calendar in the entrance hall and study halls is prohibited.
Article 21: It is forbidden to bring any food, beverages and snacks to the entrance hall and study halls.
Article 22: Access to information material and other resources, as well as a quiet place in which to study is determined by library officers. Users are allowed to leave their study-space up to half an hour. In case of emergency, access to the space is allocated to another member.
Article 23: In case of a request to borrow resources and materials kept in the repository, it is possible up to an hour and a half before the end of working time in the repository.
Article 24: Final deadline to deliver the borrowed resources to the repositories of records is at most half an hour before the end of working time in the repository.
These regulations and rules were approved by NLAI Board of Trustees in 3 chapters, 24 articles, 100 clauses and 10 notes.
Replacement, extension and duplication
Article 6: Replacement, extension and duplicate card:
6-1: A replacement member card is issued to an individual whose permit has been lost, stolen, and the like after the request and the relevant fees payment.
6-2: A replacement member card is also issued to a member individual whose new required documents for a different membership card are available after the request and the relevant fees payment. New university degrees obtained are among them.
6-3: Given the validity period of access rights and its extension, if your access rights have already expired, in the case of an extension, you can still extend their validity with regard to the conditions and the relevant fee payment.
6-4: When extending the card, in case of changing the membership conditions, it is necessary to submit the needed documents to meet the new conditions; otherwise the same level as before will be considered. It should be noted that university and seminary students with membership conditions, in each case of extension, should present a valid student card and a certificate of employment to study.
6-5: A duplicate card is issued to an individual whose permit has been provided after the request and the relevant fees payment.
6-6: In case of the loss of the membership card, the members are obliged to immediately inform the membership office.
6-7: Following the issuance of a duplicate card, if the original card is found the holder of duplicate card is obliged to deliver it to NLAI membership office.
Common questions about the National Library
- In what way may I identify a book publisher? How do I know who the publisher of a book is for my citation
There are several ways to provide solutions. Any library member should be able to search books by their title, author, subject category. By searching for the titles recorded in the printed books database of Iran Book House through www.ketabak.ir ; or alternatively, search from the materials deposited to the National Library of Iran via www.nlai.ir where the descriptive and analytical specifications of the book, including publishers are available.
- How about the translated books? How do I know who the translator of a book is?
Information on translations is available and provided by Iran Book House: www.ketab.ir
- What are the conditions of access to the national library for those who live in the counties of Iran?
The National Library of Iran (NLI) is located in Tehran, Iran, with several branches scattered throughout the capital city as well as the country called NLAI agencies and provincial offices in some provincial centers.
- Is it possible to send a copy of the books via e-mail or postal address?
In some cases and in certain circumstances, it is permitted by NLAI General Directorate of Information.
- Is it possible to make a copy or a scan of books and resources?
The law allows certain limited uses of copyrighted material by others
- Is it possible to borrow books through the library site?
Any borrowing terms may be allowed depending on the loan policy. Library members are allowed to borrow books from ONLY the public library in person from 8 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Contact? Address, call numbers?
Address: Haqqani Highway, after Mirdamad Subway Station, National Library Boulevard, National Library Building.
Contact phone: ++98 21 886 440 00-37
- Are all the books stored in the National Library? No, National Library of Iran considers books published within the country, which are submitted to the National Library in accordance with the Deposit law or Legal deposit, which are kept there. It is a legal requirement that a person or group submit copies of their publications to a repository; typically, the national library is the primary repository of these copies. The number of copies required varies from country to country. As well, the National library policy on acquisition is supported by collecting works published abroad, irrespective of the format and language(s), in particular, on Iran and Islam.
- How can I read my favorite book through the library site?
Library's goal is to create a web page for every book ever published. You access your favorite eBooks from the library. The website of the Digital Library and the Digital Library for Children at the National Library provides some full text resources and materials that you need to read: http://dl.nlai.ir and http://icnl.nlai.ir/default.asp
- Is it possible to download books from the National Library website?
National Bibliography displays only the bibliographic information of the sources, but the National Library's Digital provides users with access to some of the library's full-text resources for reading. The Children's Digital Library also offers full text resources. However, it is not possible to download.
- Is it possible to become a member by applying for a Library Card via the Internet?
Reader Registration and Access to Library is possible. In reality, it is possible to register online by completing a simple Web form. This can be done prior to visiting the Library in person, where a membership card will be issued only by visiting the applicant in person.
- How much does a library member card cost to get?
Membership annual fee for the National Library, which remains chargeable, is 300,000 Rials (US $1.36). For detailed information on fees, please consider the membership regulations posted on the library's website.
- How can I use resources stored in the National Library?
To use the resources and access to the library service, a member card is essential. For information on the terms and conditions of membership, consider visiting the library website.
- How can I access the bibliographic information on materials?
The Bibliographic Search allows you to search bibliographic entries of works and information sources that may still be available on www.nlai.ir.
- Is it possible to book or apply for a book electronically?
No, e-application or electronic application forms of booking or preordering are not currently available
16. What databases does the National Library have link with? What databases does the national library subscribe to?
Our library subscription databases are as follow:
Noor Specialized Magazines > Website: www.noormags.com
National Publications Bank > www.magiran.com
Nama Matn > www.namamatn.ir
- Has the National Library provided the interlibrary loan (ILL) service?
No, ILL services are not available at the National Library
- Is it possible to buy books from the National Library? Or how can I buy a book from the National Library?
The National Library of Iran does not sell books from its collections. The National Library bookshop sells books and other material on a range of subjects from various publishers, including books and merchandise published by NLAI.
- What are the opening hours of the National Library's reading rooms?
The opening hours for the Reading Room can vary in the four seasons marked by changes in Iran as follow:
Spring, summertime: 08-22.00
Fall or autumn, wintertime: 08 -21.00. See also Working hours
- Is it possible to provide ISO by using bibliographic information available on the National Library website?
Yes, it is possible. To this end, by the search and the successful request of a library-provided online service, select the result in the "List of found records" window. Next, select the "ISO format" (Text) for the "Select Search Results Format" option; then click Save and Print. Finally, select the desired path to save the ISO file.
- Is the online ISO format of the library different from its offline ISO?
No, ISO 2709 is an ISO standard for both. The only difference is in their tags. ISO Online is saved and stored by IRANMARC tags (based on UNIMARK).
- Why can't I import the library online ISO into my local software?
The software you use must be able to read IRANMARC tags (based on UNIMARK) in order to store ISO online.
- What is the National Library Information Storage Standard?
The standard for storing information is IRANMARC (based on UNIMARK), and that type is Unicode Character Set.
- Why can't I connect to the library and search Persian data through my Z-Client?
Records stored in the National Library database are available in UNICODE format. To search and view records, the client used is required to support the Unicode Character Set.
- What are the specifications for connecting Z server to the National Library?
Server Address: z3950.nlai.ir
Note that records stored in the National Library database are available in UNICODE format. To search and view records, the client used is required to support the Unicode Character Set.
- Is it possible to connect to the bibliographic database of the National Library through the Z39.50 protocol?
Yes, we provide a user-friendly interface using the Z39.50 protocol for searching, which a universal Z39.50 client that uses a web interface.
- Is it possible to search the documents and records database online?
Yes, the online service link on the home page is available.
- What is the classification system used by the National Library?
Library Classification is considered to be a process of putting and arranging resources. The Dewey Classification Number can be also considered to be provided for each work.
- How can one obtain information on the history, goals, and tasks of the library?
The website of the National Library at "www.nlai.ir" provides good explanations in this regard.
- How can I find the address or phone number of the publisher?
Publisher contact is available by Iran Book House website: (http://www.ketab.ir)
- Is it possible to access the manuscript catalog through the library Web?
The descriptive specifications of desired manuscripts on the library website are available. To do this, in the "item type" section, select "manuscript".
- Are all dissertations available in the National Library?
- How to get a rare book in the market?
To use scarcity marketing is the right way. Contact bookstores and brokers who work exclusively in this field or contact the book publisher to provide rare or scarce books.
- May I have information on the National Library learning courses?
NLAI Training courses and workshops are open to its staffs and other applicants, which provide opportunities every year. Contact the Training Department for detailed information: Call ++98 21 88644000-37
National Archives Frequently Asked Questions
- Is it possible to become a National Archives member via the Internet?
Given the general and special membership types, you can sign up online on the membership site www.nlai.ir. Consider that a member card will be issued if you visit in person.
- How can I use and access the records kept in the National Archive?
You can get access to the list of records by visiting in person Archives Research Room or online at www.nlai.ir. In case of receiving the scanned records file selected or ordered, you are required to become a National Archives member.
- What are the necessary requirements to use the records available in the National Archives Deputy (National Archives)?
National Archives membership office provides information.
- What is the process of becoming a member of the National Archives?
By presenting a copy of his/ her own National ID Card to become a temporary member of the National Archives, it is possible for a researcher who simply has a research topic to use the Archives Research Room, located in the National Archives Building. However, researchers who work on professional research topics and tend to do much research for a long time, being B.A. at least, are allowed to access the archives. They are required to complete the online membership registration and then the member card will be provided by the Library membership office, located in the National Library building. Having a member card means a license to use the National Archives Room.
- What is the practical training of pathology and restoration of records in the Deputy of Records?
Applicants can call ++98 21 229 007 94 for any information.
- Are services and activities related to repairs and renovations provided to the public and organizations?
Yes, encouraging the genuine and legal owners of valuable records and books in order to preserve the written heritage is one of the main goals and policies of the National Archives and Library of Iran. By referring to the National Archives, the general public can entrust their documents and books to be preserved and restored at the Preservation and Restoration Department. Clients can, after the specified time, with the receipt of the work order adjusted based on the approved tariffs and bank receipts in the amount determined to the account number 2170409001002 of the Bank Melli of Iran / National Library Branch (code 1205) named "Raabete Tamarkoze Vojouhe Farhangi and Ettela Resani" (The interface for concentrating cultural funds and information), to receive their works. Regarding the legal institutions, all the above steps can be implemented by the legal formalities and administrative correspondence whereby the official representative to this Department is to be introduced.
- Is it possible to use oral history sources?
Yes, it is possible by becoming a member of the National Archives..
- What are the conditions for using the records in the National Archives for people who are living in counties not in the Tehran metropolitan area?
In the cities of Tabriz, Isfahan, Hamedan, Shiraz, Yazd, Zahedan, Kerman and Khorasan Razavi, where NLAI has regional or provincial branches, you can visit these centers. After viewing the lists of records, a copy request is sent for the records kept in the Tehran central archives to be photocopied. To access the documents in each area of the organization, applicants or users are required to apply at that area or department.
- Is it possible to get a list of files under a directory of the NLAI website or access the catalogue of the Archives on the National Archives website, accessed through their Online Records page?
- How to calculate fees of pathology, repair and conservation services?
Estimation of fees is based on factors such as the percentage of physical and chemical damage to the document, the type of paper and ink used in it, the type of damage to the document, prevention methods used to remove destruction, restoration of records and size of the document.
- After the restoration of the document, how long is it possible to be maintained?
After removing the damage and restoration operation of the document, if the optimal conditions of keeping the document are fully observed, it can be assured that the destruction process will stop for a long time, but this does not mean that you leave it to its own devices. It is necessary to monitor, control the environmental conditions and pay attention to the appearance of the document.
- What are the important points in terms of document preservation?
Observance of optimal conditions for maintaining documents is one of the pillars of conservation. These conditions include the following:
• The storage temperature of the document is in the range of 18-23 degrees Celsius and any sudden temperature changes should be strictly avoided.
• Do not store documents in an environment with high humidity or too hot and dry weather, and sudden changes in humidity should be avoided.
• Avoid exposing documents to direct sunlight and high-intensity artificial light.
• In case of decorative and visual use of the document, it should be installed somewhere away from windows, fireplaces or heating appliances and also at a distance from artificial lights.
• It is best to keep the documents without folding, rolling, and preferably in high-quality plastic folders.
• If framing documents, the document must be separated from the frame glass by Passe-partout, and it is essential to pay attention to the quality of the Passe-partout material and the cardboard on the back of the document when framing.
• If the document is damaged, do not use adhesives and common accessories to glue and repair the tear. The only sure way to repair damaged documents and books is to put them in high-quality envelopes and refer them to the Department of Preservation and Restoration at the Deputy of Archives or other reliable conservation centers in the country.
• Avoid possibly touching records directly and without gloves.
• Records should be kept away from places where insects and rodents may pass, and it is best to spray the document periodically in consultation with experts and professionals.
- Is there technical advice on optimizing the environmental conditions of the Library and records repositories by the Deputy of Archives?
Given the principle of "Prevention is better than treatment (PBTT)", a concept that is fundamental, which is highlighted by Deputy of Archives in the protection of documents and books, and considering the inevitable and increasing effects of the environment on libraries and repositories, as well as the focus of "archival family" thinking in Iran, all organizations and the institutions can benefit from the technical consulting services of the department of Preservation and Restoration after the legal formalities, i.e. the administrative correspondence with the Deputy of Archives.
Fax number: ++98 21 229 007 94
- Postal address: Tehran - Mirdamad, near Madar Square, Hesari Street (Razan Janoubi), Ganjineh Bld.,
P.O. Box: 15875-4499
- Is it possible to borrow records?
No. No loan items!
- What are the steps to access the Archives Research Room?
At the research hall, the client is directed to the Membership Affairs Department as he/she enters. In this section, the application form for using records is provided to him. After completing the form and providing the necessary documents, the client will be introduced to the experts in order to provide a list of his/her needed records requested by the researcher, that can be seen in the "Original Records" section or in the "Microfilm" section, and finally the records selected by the researcher will be provided to the Membership Affairs Department as the reproduction process is completed. After charging legal fees, this department provides researcher with images of the records.
- Is it possible to make copies or scans of documents?
- Is it possible to send a copy of the records via e-mail or mailing address?
Yes. After viewing the lists of records, you can send a request for duplication of them. The documents will be sent to the applicant's account after paying or charging the legal fees.
- Is it possible to download records from the NLAI website?
No, currently unable to download.
- What is the address and telephone number of the Archives Research Room.
There are two ways you can get access to the Archives building:
- Haqqani Highway (south to north), Koosha Street, next to Shahid Keshvari Stadium, National Archives and Library Organization, National Archives of Iran.
- Mirdamad Boulevard, Madar Square, Shahid Behzad Hesari St. (Razan Janoubi), next to Shahid Keshvari Stadium, National Archives and Library Organization, National Archives of Islamic Rep. of Iran, Ganjineh Building
Contact Phone: ++98 21 229 002 70-86
Contact Phone: ++98 21 229 033 05
- Can I start working immediately after submitting my documents?
Yes, to facilitate and speed up the research process, Deputy of National Archives has made it possible for the researcher to start his / her research after applying for the permit.
- How to make your users and patrons service?
After becoming a member of the National Archives of Iran, the client refers to research professionals whereby under his/her supervision, uses a computer retrieval system to find the documents and records he needs. In the manual method, a user's manual is used to refer to (hard copy) inventories to provide services. To view the printed list of records, the user as a researcher completes the form requested to identify the original records which are to be considered to deliver the items to the Archival Membership Office where, according to the amount of available requests, the earliest time is determined for the client and let him/ her know to look at the records. Next, given the Guidelines for Divisional Records, will be an order to make copies of items requested to the Divisional Records Officer.
In the modern approach, as per the Guidelines for Computer Searching in Archives, Computer searching is becoming a necessity for researchers in the Archives; the user is to write a list of his selected items and records in the special and considered forms which are delivered to the relevant officer. To view the records, if selected, the user is to fill out the application form for printing the items needed and submit it to the officer in charge of the Membership Affairs. Images of the requested documents will be provided to the user after fee payment or charging legal fees.
Contact and find us - Library membership office
Call: ++98 21 816 233 24
++98 21 816 233 03
++98 21 816 233 23
Becoming a member - the Archives membership
As per the guidelines for researchers at the National Archives, researchers who have a research topic can go to the Research Room, located in the National Archives, Archives Building, in order to become a temporary member of the National Archives by presenting a copy of their national card, ID card.
However, researchers who are to do much research are required make membership with an online form from www.nlai.ir in order to become an Archives member. The member card will be issued by Library Membership Office, located in the National Library building, whereby the research hall can be used and the access to Archives is possible.
Research Room Regulations
The Guidelines for Studying and Searching in the Archives:
- As per the locally relevant considerations in the Research Room, National Archives offers a guiding framework to use archival items and records when considering assessments.
- If you are a member in the National Library, you are allowed to have a temporary change to enter the Archives with the library membership card. Otherwise you must get a temporary member card.
- To use the records services, first refer to the membership office, and then to the Union Catalog Division which serves as a combined library catalog describing the collections of a number of libraries, and finally to the Finance Division.
- To charge fees, necessary to use a National Network Card as a domestic interbank card payment system widely used by Iranian people.
- Quiet place, tranquility is considered to be necessary for study and research area.
- Put your belongings in the cupboards considered as personal belongings restrictions in library research areas.
- Readers are not allowed to take the camera and video recorder, flash card, laptop, handbag, etc. in the Room.
- No photography camera and video record sign, taking pictures and recording the archival items is prohibited.
- Catalogues and books stored in a section are only to be served at the same section. This is why it is prohibited to move books and journals to other areas.
Information Room Rules for history in the Archives
1. NLAI member card for researchers provides access to the sources of oral history.
2. To use and access the oral history interviews, applicants are required to complete the application form and submit it to the officer in charge of Oral History Information Room. (This form is available and provided by the officer in the Room).
3. The applicant is allowed to use the material, audio-visual sources of oral history, following the application approved by the head of Department of Information on the Audio-Visual Materials.
4. No copies of oral history sources are provided by NLAI.
5. It is prohibited to have a handbag, laptop and flash card inside the Archives Room.
6. Any photography of oral history materials is prohibited.
7. Access to the text of the interview is allowed only in the oral history information room not to be taken out of the area.
8. The sources of oral history used in the Archives by the applicant should be properly cited with the same care and standards in her/ his studies and findings.
9. The applicant is responsible for the damage of any source and material provided by the Archives as per the guidelines for users and patrons.
10. Violation of any of the above rules will result in revocation of the member card.