The National Archives Activities
The National Archives of Iran is responsible by law to identify and supervise the collection and storage of valuable noncurrent records produced by state organizations and institutions affiliated with them across the country. The execution of this complex process is carried out by four Departments; the summary of whose responsibilities is as follows:
Records Identification and Acquisition Department
Communicating with relevant authorities at Ministries, government institutions and institutions affiliated with them:
- to explain and justify the processes for the creation of records centers;
- to control the correct execution of records directives and regulations;
- to determine the lifespan of records;
- to determine nonrecords;
- to transfer the valuable records to the National Archives;
- to provide the related records regulations and directives to government organizations and their institutional affiliates for the optimal preservation of files, disposal schedule of files, identification of valuable records and separation of nonrecords from records;
- for Records appraisal and continuous co-operation with government institutions to obtain the necessary permits from the National Archives Council to destroy nonrecords and waste papers;
- for making continuous studies on the real research and archival value of documents.
- for regular acquisition of noncurrent records from government bodies and their institutional affiliates;
- to prepare regulations and registration forms for the favorite and effective storage conditions of noncurrent records;
- to review the received dossiers and prepare ID labels for and abstracts of them;
- to prioritize the documents before handing over to the classification and processing Department;
- to produce softwares for data transfer to digital databases for accountability to relevant bodies.
Archives Classification and processing Department
In this department, archival records are described and arranged according to the world accepted archival norms and standards, observing the basic principles of the original order and the provenance; in other words, records collections are reviewed without manipulation or disruption of their original order, the main ID tag of each collection at the time of retrieval is the name of organization or person having submitted them.
In the physical description of records, features such as number of pages, language, alphabet, page size, date and appendices, and in content description, the descriptive subject abstract, and key words and phrases, are extracted and recorded, according to the archival description rules. For precise and fast retrieval, clear and distinctive characteristics of each record are selected and used.
Archives Conservation and Restoration Department
In this department, physical, chemical and biological damages incurred on valuable records are repaired by the well-trained and skillful experts, applying pathology labs, cleaning and disinfection machines and advanced restoration tools.
Technical and professional services and advices are provided to the other libraries, archival institutions or private collectors, for proper preservation and storage of their valuable archival records. Also, in the framework of professional training courses organized by this department, public technical know-how on physical repair and protection of records and a document-oriented culture are to be promoted.
Archival Services and Information Department
This department is responsible for:
- Acquisition of valuable records from third parties in the form of donation, purchase, transfer, or deposit; and their initial processing such as registration and informing the public about them;
- Collation of valid historical information through studied interviews with major dignitaries and figures in contemporary Iranian history;
- Storage of classified records in the repositories with a surface area of 4000 square meters using standard tools;
- Production of photographs, microfilms, microfiches, and photocopies of original records;
- Coding, editing and recording of received data and updating of central records database;
- Lending records copies to researchers and disseminating records information in the society, amongst other methods, by organizing public exhibitions.
To prevent the accumulation of regional records in the capital and facilitate the work of researchers, and in order to improve the collection processes of local records, archival bureaus have been established in different parts of the country with the same term of reference as "the National Archives". The following regional bureaus are now operating their archival duties, while preparatory work is underway to open new bureaus in more Provinces of Iran:
1. Regional library and archives in Kerman;
2. Regional library and archives in Tabriz;
3. Regional library and archives in Hamadan;
4. Regional library and archives in Zahedan;
5. Regional library and archives in Isfahan;
6. Regional library and archives in Yazd;
7. Regional library and archives in Shiraz;
8. Regional library and archives in Qazvin;
9. Regional library and archives in Mashhad;
10. Regional library and archives in Bushehr;
11. Regional library and archives in Rasht.
All Rights Reserved by National Library and Archives Organisation of Iran